Monday, April 30, 2007

Terry Gilbert

I met Sam over thirty years ago when I was in law school through Bob. We were in the process of organizing a local chapter of the National Lawyers Guild to provide a legal component to the Anti-War Movement. I was surprised to learn that his father -an unassuming personal injury lawyer quietly living in Cleveland Heights - was a founding member of that group in 1937 and that he was immersed in the struggle for civil and human rights at a time when those who did paid heavy prices for their commitment. When I met Sam, he had already lived a life most people would have envied. Bob opened my eyes to the Guild which helped shaped my perspective, but Sam provided the inspiration and historical context for my life as a lawyer.

In the scheme of things, this chance encounter for me would have been enough. But it led to more - to a lifelong association with an incredible family, exposing me to experiences, culture, and values different from my own working-class upbringing, discussions about world events, the arts, trips to the farm, glorious meals with fresh produce, and memorable walks through the woods.

This was not an incidental connection via a friendship with one member of a family. It was not long before I developed separate friendships with Frank, David, and Dorothy. But the glue and DNA behind all this were the producers of this long running hit show - Sally and Sam. And I was fortunate to be close with both. I was not just a guy who hung out with their kids.

Even after his death, Sam continues to be an inspiration to me. During difficult moments I think about how Sam would approach the situation. His seamless synthesis of the political and personal was legendary, but simple: devotion to family and friends, and an unwavering commitment to justice and humanity. What a legacy!

No comments: